10 Nov 2010

MA Diary - internship

After a talk with my tutor, Rebecca Russell Turner, who advised me to seek out an internship in order to establish a career, I sent my cv and cover letter to J Model Management.
I was then called for an interview, which I passed and got into the team.
Although my time with them was quite brief and I couldn't complete the program due to some personal problems, I learned some new insight on how much work it actually is to set up a fashion show from scratch and all the organizing it requires. What I learned from this experience is that working in this type of business is very demanding and tiring at times and that it's not really for me, since I am more the creative type, that can not easily adjust to life at the office.

Here is the cover letter I sent them along with my cv:

Cover letter

My name is Amalia Bot, I am a student at BIAD, in the MA Fashion Promotion course; my Masters project is related to the luxury industry and I am now searching to get as much experience and knowledge as I possibly can, that's why I believe working for a model management company would be beneficial in many ways.

My previous experience in the field would include, in addition to the fashion shows and exhibits organized by the university where I finished my BA in Fashion Design, participations, as fashion designer, in three other events. I have had the opportunity to collaborate with a specialized store in the capital town of my home country (located in the heart of Europe), who now sells some of the clothing and shoes I have created and, thus, managed to start my personal business venture. For the past three years, I have also been involved in the making of a local fashion related TV-show, where I sometimes served as anchor as well. Even though my work there was voluntary, I gained experience in the communication field and also got to work with models, make-up artists and stylists.

Even though I have not had any experience in organizing fashion shows, I have participated in some and got to observe and learn about the coordinating aspects of the shows. I strongly believe that if you decide to accept me for the position, you will not be disappointed, as I am a very hard-working person, motivated, ambitious, a fast-learner, a perfectionist, very well organized and I can multi-task and perform well under pressure. I would be very comfortable with whatever kind of work this position entails, as I am flexible and I am looking to gain any kind of experience within the fashion industry.

No comments: