20 Oct 2010

MA Diary - Custard Factory



During this week I’ve also started visiting a lot of apparel stores, went to the flea market in the Custard Factory and mainly started to get an idea of how people dress in Birmingham, what they like to buy and along the road I’m hoping to also get an idea of why they buy certain types of clothes more than others.
What I learned so far is that Primark has very cheap prices, enormous stores and very many clients. It’s true that there is quite an appeal for Primark clothes since the quality, price and design are all attractive, but in my personal opinion there are too many people carrying around Primark bags in the city.
I was quite happy to discover the Custard Factory, my favourite place in Birmingham so far, where you can find pieces from the 1960’s at affordable prices. I was surprised though that there weren’t as many people in the stores as I had thought. I was used to the vintage phenomenon being still a phenomenon, since in Romania people pay big money for vintage clothes and the fairs that are organized in bigger cities of the country have quite the attendance. Maybe in the UK vintage has been around for a far longer time and people are not that excited about these fairs since they happen quite often and perhaps in many areas of the city.


No comments: